Welcome to web wanderers new and old. Not commenting on a particular post, but just want to say hi, ask a general question or introduce yourself? Drop me a line in the visitors' book below.

October 21, 2010

Confessions and promises

Okay, there have been confessions happening all over the place lately. In fact I've been weighing in with confessions about a number of things in comments on other people's blogs (I really can't keep track of what, my memory isn't that good). But I know I have confessed. To, oh, lots of things...from a weakness for a good recipe, to chocolate cravings, to not passing on blog awards, to not reading enough and instead, watching too much TV.



It's just occurred to me, though, that I've been a bit thin with the confessions on my own blog. In fact I've been a bit guarded with everything I say on here. I think I'm still getting used to this new media; to writing what is basically a public email - readable by anyone who happens across it. I should mention that when it comes to Facebook, I rarely leave more than the most innocuous posts on people's walls (for the uninitiated, someone's Facebook wall is pretty much a public forum). I prefer to send a private message, rather than having back and forth interactions for all to see. I also almost never send Facebook status updates (for which I'm sure most of my friends are heartily grateful).

The big difference with a blog of course is the subject matter. It's not really private chat material. Hopefully we're talking about stuff here in the blogging world which is of interest to more than one person, so it makes sense to have discussions via the public forum of 'posts' and 'comments'.

Still, I've been approaching it all in a very dry, formal way. Hoping to write posts which are informative, based on personal experience...but giving as little away about myself as possible. Some people's blog posts are literally dripping with personality. Mine, to put it bluntly, are usually not. Again, I think this is because I'm basically a pretty private person, and letting the real me escape and go running around out there is still a slightly scary thought. That, and I do naturally tend towards a fairly formal writing style anyway. In earlier years I wrote historical romance, emulating (with little success) writers like the late great Georgette Heyer and even Jane Austen, and I periodically have to beat the windy, overblown, floral language and long, meandering sentences out of my more contemporary manuscripts.

The problem with all of the above is that I'm increasingly realising that the only thing which differentiates one blogger from another is their personality. Their voice. (Yep, that elusive thing that only turns up when it's good and ready, and can apparently make the difference between your MS being slush pile fodder and it being the 'next big thing'.) Their unique take on the world. Even their sense of humour, irreverent or otherwise.

So here's my promise to you, my wonderful and much appreciated followers and readers. From now on, I'm letting out the real me. I won't self censor, or try to sound like someone I'm not. I'll try and be honest (though hopefully still tactful) in my views about this soul-wrenching and ego-destroying writing business we're all engaged in. And from now on, my posts (at least some of them) may be personal, even intimate - in preference to being well researched, informative....and dry as a pile of dusty bones.

You heard it here first.

14 comments:

Su said...

It is scary to let the real you out at first, especially on the internet! Good for you for giving it a go!

Anonymous said...

I like dry too. ; )

Grandpa said...

Welcome to the real blogsphere, then. I blog to show off what I have and how my life is, but at the end of the day people choose whether to read or not.

I like "dry as a pile of dusty bones..." I'm learning everyday from blogs

Christie Wright Wild said...

Well said. Not sure if I'm dry or not. I mostly just be myself. I'm not into trying to be funny because I'm not naturally the one that makes everyone laugh at get-togethers. I'm a bit of a wallflower myself when it comes to talking to people in real life. But at least I'll dance!

Amanda said...

It's really hard being yourself on a blog, when you know so many people can see it. But from what I see, you have a brilliant blog here - and I'll be visiting regularly.
:-)))

Anonymous said...

It's a balance, isn't it? Between protecting yourself and the people you know, between showcasing your writing skills and being professional and between sometimes just wanting to let rip and have a big rant.

My personal blog rules are to be professional and write well, to leave my family out of it as much as possible, but also to allow some of my personality through. That means I'm allowing to diss the Germans when and if I feel like it - but with good grammar.

Anonymous said...

That would be 'allowed to diss the Germans'. Nice if I could use good grammar in my blog comments too ...

Anonymous said...

I'm a wallflower with some and a loud mouth with others Christie and on here it's oh so different again. I think you have a great voice in this post Adina and I red the other day about leaving your post for quite a while before posting to see if you would be embarrassed to have it go out or not. (I should take heed to that, I'm terrified of looking unprofessional and showing myself up in public before I even get anything published.) It's a fine line, we are all like tight ropers. Pass me the long pole anyone! And you go Adina, just pretend you are in a coffee lounge, just a rather large one with important people in.

Anonymous said...

oops 'read'

Sarah*G* said...

I found your blog after finding out about the Writers Platform Crusade and signing up for it. Going to be great help getting me back into the swing of writing again! Just wanted to stop by and say 'hello'

Bast said...

I think the big thing to remember is just to have fun ... that's what this is all about. And formal doesn't equal professional -- being yourself is more than enough (just look at many of the professionals' blogs). Looking forward to getting to see more of you.

Rachael Harrie said...

Great post Adina. Can't wait to see your lovely personality shining through even more ;)

Rach

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Quinn says. First and foremost, enjoy what you are doing. And for what it's worth, I've really enjoyed your comments on my blog and look forward to reading more here. (Fellow tv junkies unite! Just after this Buffy marathon...)

You might find the Shrinking Violet Promotions blog interesting. They're doing a workshop on online personas thatties in really well with the Crusade stuff. Some of the exercises are good at directing you towards what to write about and how to present your work.

Adina West said...

@chicklit1028: Hey, don't ever think Buffy time is wasted! I haven't watched for a while (..."Hi, my name is Adina, and it's been eight years since my last Buffy fest"...) but back in the day, oh yeah.

Thanks for the Shrinking Violets tip.

@everyone: Thanks for your comments. It's nice to be 'heard' sometimes.

@Christie: I think you've given me an idea for my next blog post.

;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...